If you are like most people, you have more work to do than you have time to do it. Here are a few simple things that can help you be more productive.
- Use dual Monitors. According to a University of Utah study, you can increase your efficiency by 25% just by adding a second monitor. The study took a number of factors into consideration, such as task time, editing time, the number of errors made, ease of task tracking, and the ability to maintain focus on tasks. All of these factors combined showed an increase in productivity by 25%.
- Set up remote access to email and files. This allows you to keep up on your emails when waiting for a meeting to start, at home at the end of the day, or when traveling for work. Sometime you may have to stay home because of a sick child; you can easily grab a few minutes here and there to make sure you don’t get behind at work.
- Block media site distractions. It is often tempting when you open up Internet Explorer to see all the enticing stories that Bing has so conveniently displayed for you. I suggest you change your home page to something a simple site like Google and you go into settings and hide the news feed. Avoid Facebook, YouTube, and other social sites.
- Reduce clutter on your desk. Researchers at the Princeton University Neuroscience Institute published the results of a study they conducted on the effects of a unclutter workspace. The study said that clutter has a negative impact on productivity. Other experts have indicated that clutter often adds to the worker’s stress level.
- Reduce paper in your office. Several studies by highly respected research companies such as Gartner and PricewaterhouseCoopers stated that more than 30% of a typical workers day is spent searching for documents. This is why I recommend that organizations use Laserfiche in nearly every department.